Thursday, October 28, 2010

Greetings on Vijaydasami Day

I have been ruminating on Vijaydasami these last few days, its importance, impact and intensity. For me, Vijayadasami has been very important. My earliest forays into the concert scene always coincided with Navarathri celebrations in Kerala. We had almost daily concerts, and on Vijaydasami Day, my father (the late Vishwanatha Bhagavathar, the Palace Musician in Cochin State) used to take me with him to sing before the royalty in the Navarathri Mandapam, Darbar Hall, Cochin. I always felt embarrassed when they treated me like a child - I was just 7 years old then! - rather than a musician, of which I was quite proud!

The memories of spending Navarathri along with my Guru Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar are quite exceptional - full of inspiration, energy, thapas, saadhana and soulabhya. In Chennai, in the late sixties, he would wait for me on Vijayadasami, and only after making me sing, he would have lunch, mostly along with me.

In the last few years, Vijayadasami has become highly personalized for all of us at AIMA - our Vidyapeetam. From early morning, the bustling activities with disciples old and new, voices and instruments, and concluding with a special evening in my eminent disciple, Ilayaraja's house, when I sing exclusively for God and him.

Until next time. With blessings,
TVG

1 comment:

  1. I have been insisting Sir to initiate a blog to share his invaluable thoughts and creative genius for quite sometime. I am glad guruji has found the appropriate time and started one on the most auspicious day. everybody who knew him knows that Guruji has made him somebody from nobody!

    ReplyDelete