Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Some Memories of Deepavali

Diwali - a different celebration for each of the multicultural milieu in our Bharath and other Asian cultures. My blessings, best wishes and fervent hopes all for you, for Diwali - Deepavali.

I am not one to celebrate such occasions only because of the hype they have generated in the minds of all sections of our society - the must do, must give, must take, etc. Anyway, if such occasions ultimately provide a great solace or a diversion from the day to day pit falls, so be it. Let us celebrate with great music and less noise!

Deepavali reminds me about the times with my Guru, the doyen of Carnatic music, Chembai mama. He used to perform for Mani Swamigal in Appu Mudali street, Mylapore, after Deepavali every year, just for the latter's blessings and prasadam. He would take just 10 Rupees and give us, his accompanists - violinist V.V. Subramaniam and myself on the mridangam, 2 Rupees each! These concerts always had the stature of a full-fledged sabha cutcheri, jam-packed with rasikas!!!

I am also very nostalgic on Deepavali day about Dikshitar's Meenakshi me mudam dehi. The day brings me a bitter-sweet sensation for this was Dikshitar's swan song and one of the most beautiful compositions in Poorvikalyani. For over 30 years, I did not sing this song in kutcheris. Recently, I have begun teaching it to my disciples, and in my most recent concert on Vijaydasami day, I sang this song at Varadu's (violinist S. Varadarajan) request. The neraval, at madhu mada moditha, was highly emotive and brought great involvement and joy to both the singer and listeners!

I have lots of good news to share with you, so you will hear from me soon.

Until then,
TVG

2 comments:

  1. yeah..meenakshi mudam that day at your disciple ilayaraja sir's house was indeed awesome...still lingering in our ears....

    ReplyDelete